In 2018, GRESB scored and benchmarked the environmental, social and governance (ESG) performance of 432 European real estate funds and companies on behalf of 75 institutional investors. The data covers 78% of the listed real estate market in the region by market cap.
The average GRESB Score for the European real estate sector increased again in 2018, reaching 66 out of 100 (compared to 62 in 2017). Once again, listed entities scored higher than their counterparts in the private sector.
With European companies and funds reducing global gas emissions by 5.6%, Europe maintains its leadership position compared to other regions. Similarly, with a 2.2% fall in water consumption, the average water consumption reduction for European participants outperforms the other regions.
“The high levels of reporting in Europe, together with the increase in GRESB Scores, shows a region delivering ESG transparency at scale. With more European and global investors placing real value on ESG insights, the importance of comparable insights and benchmarks is set to grow further.” says Roxana Isaiu, GRESB Director Real Estate.
“The 2018 GRESB results are proving that expectations have fundamentally changed in the real asset sector and investors are increasingly asking for greater transparency about the ESG performance of real asset portfolios,” said Mahesh Ramanujam, chairman, GRESB Board of Directors, and president & CEO, Green Business Certification Inc. (GBCI). “We are pleased by the continued increase in participation this year as it is clear that ESG is gaining prominence and becoming common practice. We congratulate all participants in the 2018 Assessments for the critical role they are playing in creating a world with more sustainable buildings and infrastructure.”
2018 GRESB Sector Leaders from Europe
This list of Sector Leaders recognizes the real estate companies and funds taking measurable steps to incorporate sustainability into their operations and communicating their performance to investors and other stakeholders. 8 real estate entities based in Europe achieved both Global and Regional Sector Leader recognition, and 8 are named European Sector Leaders.
Global and Regional Sector Leaders
- Achmea Dutch Health Care Property Fund, Syntrus Achmea Real Estate & Finance, Healthcare – Non-listed
- Bouwinvest Dutch Institutional Hotel Fund N.V., Bouwinvest REIM, Hotels – Non-listed
- Build to Rent (1), Legal and General Investment Management, Residential – Non-listed
- Castellum AB, Diversified – Office/Industrial – Listed
- Hines Master Fund Management Company S.a.r.l. on behalf of Hines Real Estate Master FCP-FIS, Hines, Diversified – Office/Retail – Non-listed
- Leisure Fund Property Partnership, Legal and General Investment Management, Other – Non-listed
- UBS German Logistic Fund, UBS Global Asset Management, Industrial – Non-listed
- Unibail-Rodamco, Retail – Listed
Regional Sector Leaders
- GECINA, Office – Listed
- GRIP REIT Plc, Residential – Listed
- RBS Pension Trustees Limited, Aberdeen Standard Investments, Diversified – Office/Industrial – Non-listed
- SLI UK Shopping Centre Trust, Aberdeen Standard Investments, Retail – Non-listed
- SPP Fastigheter AB, Storebrand Fastigheter AB, Diversified – Non-listed
- Stichting Bpf voor het Beroepsvervoer over de weg, Syntrus Achmea Real Estate & Finance, Diversified – Office/Residential – Non-listed
- UK Commercial Property Trust, Diversified – Listed
- Vasakronan, Office – Non-listed
You can view the 2018 GRESB Real Estate results here.